A breastfeeding mother should be very careful to avoid a medication error if her doctor prescribes her a medicine. If a doctor doesn’t take care to make sure the dosage is correct or that the medication is safe for a nursing mother, the results could be serious and even deadly for a baby. A Louisville medication error attorney can help determine if a claim is warranted.
There are also other safety precautions a new mother can take when breastfeeding to ensure that their baby stays happy and healthy. These include:
- Avoiding alcohol or other illicit drugs;
- Decreasing caffeine intake;
- Avoiding over the counter medications, vitamins and herbal supplements that have not been approved by the Food and Drug Administration;
- Quit smoking or stop smoking until breastfeeding has stopped;
- Eat fresh fruits and vegetables; and
- Drink lots of water.
Contact a Louisville Medication Error Attorney
Many different chemicals, germs and substances can be passed through breast milk to a baby, so it is important to watch what you are ingesting. If you are prescribed a medication by your doctor, make sure you tell him or her that you are breastfeeding, and make sure you are given the correct dosage. If you have questions about a potential medication error or believe that your doctor has already made one, an attorney at Gray & White can help. Please call us today for a FREE consultation at (888) 450-4456.