The doctor has delivered the news. You or your loved one not only has a traumatic brain injury, but also a depressed skull fracture. In other words, part of the skull bone has entered the brain cavity.
Risks of Depressed Skull Fractures
If the skull bone enters the brain cavity, a person is at risk of suffering from:
- Pressure on the brain
- Direct injury to the brain
- Cerebrospinal fluid leaks if the skull bone cuts the dura mater
Medical intervention may be necessary to treat the skull fracture.
Depressed Skull Fracture Treatment
Medical treatment is individualized and depends, in part, on the underlying brain injury and a person’s overall health. Surgical options should be thoroughly reviewed with your doctor, and surgery may be indicated if:
- The depression is greater than the thickness of the skull
- Brain function is affected by the pressure
- There is a cerebrospinal fluid leak
- The scalp is open and the fracture is exposed
Swift and appropriate medical treatment can help your physical recovery from this serious injury. If your skull fracture was caused by someone else’s negligence, you will also need to take action to protect your legal recovery.
Get the Financial Compensation You Deserve
A depressed skull fracture is a serious medical injury. If someone else caused your brain injury in a motor vehicle accident, or because of some other form of negligence, you have the right to make a legal recovery for your:
- Medical expenses including surgeries, hospitalizations, doctors’ visits, medications, and other healthcare costs
- Lost income of wages, benefits, and income from self-employment that you have not earned and that you will not earn in the future because of your injury
- Pain and suffering for your physical pain and emotional suffering
- Other damages for costs associated with your injuries
These damages may be critical to your future. However, they can be difficult to get without the assistance of an experienced and dedicated brain injury lawyer. Let our Kentucky brain injury attorneys provide you with a free consultation about your rights and possible recovery. We purposely represent a small number of clients so that we can provide personal attention and thorough representation to all of our clients. Call us or start a live chat with us now to learn more.