Below are some tips on how you can find a nursing home that fits your high standards:
- Seek recommendations - ask friends, co-workers or anyone else whose opinion you trust for suggestions. You can also search the Internet for forums and blogs on the topic of nursing homes in Kentucky.
- Review rating sites - avoid nursing homes with a bad reputation. Nursing homes face a rigorous licensing process at the state and federal level. You should be able to find records of their licensure on government-owned websites. Records of inspections should be available, too.
- Visit the Medicare website - you can search for nursing homes by state, city or zip code. The nursing homes on this comprehensive site are rated on a scale of 1 to 5. Also, if you click on a nursing home, you'll get a record of violations and inspections.
When you decide on a nursing home for your loved one, don't become complacent if the facility has a stellar reputation. A few bad apples (staff) can always slip through the cracks.
You should visit frequently and be on the lookout for signs of abuse or neglect, including:
- unusual bruising;
- open wounds;
- sudden weight loss;
- poor hygiene;
- hair loss;
- soiled bedding or clothing;
- emotional withdrawal;
- sudden financial transactions; and
- strange behavior.
If you ever suspect that your loved one is being abused or neglected in a nursing home, you should discuss your observations with a Louisville nursing home abuse lawyer.
Has Your Loved One Been Injured In A Nursing Home?
If you believe your loved one is being subjected to nursing home abuse you need to speak with an experienced Kentucky nursing home neglect attorney as soon as possible. Contact us online or call our office directly at 888.450.4456 to schedule a free consultation.