My parents in Louisville are in their early 80s. They live in the same house I grew up in, and I know they want to stay there, but I’ve been seeing signs that they need more help than I can provide. Short of finding them a room in a nursing home, what options are available?

Request Your Free Consultation

Unless they are in very poor health and neither is able to provide the care that the other needs, you may be able to hire people to help them with some tasks.

They may need someone to run them to doctor’s appointments and do their grocery shopping. Maybe they could use someone to clean their home, do laundry, and prepare meals. Perhaps they need a home health aide to assist with bathing, dressing, and ensuring that your parents take necessary medications.

If you decide that they need more constant care and really shouldn’t stay in their home, approach the subject delicately—and only after you have researched the options. There are facilities that can provide just the level of help that they need, including—from least to most intensive— independent living, assisted living, and skilled nursing care.

A great option is a continuing care retirement community (CCRC), which offers a continuum of living arrangements, including independent living, assisted living, and nursing home care. These different facilities are typically all on one campus. The resident signs a long-term contract that covers transfer to more intensive care sites as the resident’s needs change.

Has Your Loved One Been Injured In A Nursing Home?

If you believe your loved one is being subjected to nursing home abuse you need to speak with an experienced Kentucky nursing home neglect attorney as soon as possible. Contact us online or call our office directly at 888.450.4456 to schedule a free consultation.