Those who work in the kitchen of a nursing home should be properly trained on how to handle and prepare food safely. When there is a failure to do so, this may be a form of negligence, which can also give you grounds for a Kentucky nursing home lawsuit.
Some of the common causes that may lead to food poisoning include:
- perishable foods not kept refrigerated or frozen;
- thermometer in refrigerator/freezer is improperly set or broken;
- thawing food at room temperature;
- failure to wash hands before preparing food;
- improperly reheating food;
- failure to sanitize/clean utensils, cutting boards and other types of work surfaces where raw poultry and meat are prepared;
- food left sitting in front of a resident for a long period of time;
- leaving food out for extended periods of time; and
- failure to cook poultry, fish and meat thoroughly.
Help from a KY Nursing Home Neglect Lawyer
If you believe that food poisoning was the cause of your loved one suffering, your next step is to seek help from a lawyer. You will need someone who has experience handling these types of claims.
A KY nursing home neglect lawyer may be able to assist with evidence collection that will be necessary to prove your case. You will first need to prove that the nursing home was negligent. Some of the evidence that may be helpful is testimony from other residents or caregivers, inspection reports and food logs.
In addition to proving the nursing home was negligent, you also will need to prove that your loved one’s injuries warrant the pursuit of a Kentucky nursing home lawsuit. Medical records can help with this. Contact a lawyer as soon as possible for help with your case.
Has Your Loved One Been Injured In A Nursing Home?
If you believe your loved one is being subjected to nursing home abuse you need to speak with an experienced Kentucky nursing home neglect attorney as soon as possible. Contact us online or call our office directly at 888.450.4456 to schedule a free consultation.