Patients often take medication their doctors prescribe to them without hesitation because they trust their physicians and believe that the medication will work. No one ever imagines the prescription will make him worse or will result in his death.
Xarelto's Fatal Side Effects Caused by Uncontrollable Bleeding
Unfortunately, thousands of patients have allegedly suffered serious consequences from taking the anti-coagulant drug Xarelto. Often used for the treatment of deep vein thrombosis and to help prevent blood clots, this new-generation blood thinner has been accused of causing serious, life-threatening, and fatal conditions, including:
- Brain bleeding. A brain hemorrhage can result in permanent disability or death.
- Internal bleeding. Internal bleeding can cause organ damage and death.
- Bleeding gums. Bleeding gums are not only uncomfortable, but may also cause significant dental problems including infection.
- Coughing up blood. This can be a sign of serious and life-threatening bleeding.
- Paralysis. The loss of movement in your legs, arms, or torso can change your life forever.
- Retinal bleeding. Even when just a few of the many blood vessels of the retina bleed, there can be significant damage to a person’s eyesight. The damage may be temporary or permanent, and may result in a partial or full loss of vision depending on the extent of the bleeding and the damage done to the retina.
There May Be No Way to Stop the Bleeding Once It Starts
Unlike other blood thinners, Xarelto doesn’t have an approved antidote or reversal agent to stop uncontrolled bleeding once it begins. There is currently no medication that is available to reverse the serious side effects of Xarelto. Accordingly, while pharmaceutical companies work on developing an antidote, it is important to know what you can do if you have been hurt or if you have lost a loved one due to Xarelto side effects.
Holding Xarelto Accountable for the Damage It Has Caused
Recently patients have taken legal action against Bayer Healthcare and the Johnson & Johnson Janssen subsidiary for allegedly not providing adequate warnings about the bleeding risks and lack of reversal agent for Xarelto.
A complaint was filed on July 29, 2014 in Texas by a patient who allegedly experienced life-threatening bleeding that led to permanent injury—after using the drug for only four months. She is seeking $10 million in damages and punitive damages against the manufacturer.
A wrongful death lawsuit was filed on July 25, 2014 by the daughter of Thomas C. Dunkley of Vermont. Dunkley allegedly suffered from a brain bleed that led to his death after using the drug for fewer than ten days. The family is seeking compensatory damages, survivor’s damages, and punitive damages against the manufacturer.
Filing a Xarelto Lawsuit in Kentucky
Gray and White Law wants to help if you or a loved one has suffered from the life-threatening or fatal side effects of Xarelto. We encourage you to contact our experienced legal team today to speak with a Kentucky Xarelto lawyer about your situation.