Mistakes that are made after a Kentucky truck accident can be costly. You naturally want to avoid doing the wrong things so you can protect your right to recover fair financial compensation for your injuries. However, the time after a truck wreck can be chaotic, overwhelming, and confusing, and for most truck accident victims, it is the first time they have ever dealt with this type of situation.
Below, our Kentucky truck accident attorney outlines 9 key mistakes you should avoid after being in an accident.
Common Mistakes Made Following a Kentucky Truck Accident
Since you may not know about the things that could jeopardize your recovery, our experienced Kentucky truck accident attorney wants you to know that the following actions could hurt your claim for compensation:
- Not calling the police. If you call the police from the scene of your accident, the police will come to help keep you safe from secondary accidents, to make sure you get emergency medical attention, to investigate the crash, and to write a report about it.
- Not seeing a doctor. A doctor can diagnose your injuries and start treatment to manage your pain and to prevent your condition from worsening. This will be important not only to your physical health, but also in proving that the injuries you suffered were caused by the truck wreck.
- Not collecting evidence. Important evidence, such as witness contact information and photos, may be gathered at the scene of the crash. If you are physically able to gather this information, it is important to do so because it can be extremely useful in proving who was at fault for the crash.
- Admitting fault. You may not know exactly what happened in the crash. However, according to our Kentucky truck accident attorney, if you apologize for the crash or admit fault, the trucker and trucking company may try to use this against you later.
- Talking to the insurance company. The insurance company wants to settle your claim for as little as possible. Anything you say to the insurance company may be used against you later. Therefore, it is important to report your crash to the insurance company but not to engage in further discussions on your own. Instead, you can direct the insurance adjuster to your lawyer.
- Accepting payment without talking to an experienced Kentucky truck accident attorney. Once you accept payment, you may be unable to recover additional damages in the future. Therefore, it is important to make sure that the payment is fair before taking it.
- Posting on social media. Anything you put on social media may be considered in your Kentucky truck accident case. For example, if you claim a serious injury but your Facebook posts reflect that you are carrying on with your regular activities, your injury claim could be questioned.
- Waiting too long to file a case. In most cases, you have one year to file a truck accident injury case in Kentucky.
- Not calling a Kentucky truck accident attorney as soon as possible. The sooner you contact a truck accident attorney, the sooner your lawyer can get started protecting your recovery and help you avoid future mistakes.
Some of these mistakes are easier to avoid than others.
Contact Our Kentucky Truck Accident Attorney for Help Recovering Damages
There is no doubt, mistakes happen in the aftermath of a Kentucky truck accident. Even if you think you made a mistake, we encourage you to contact our experienced truck accident attorney in Kentucky for a free, no-obligation consultation. We would be pleased to review your case and to discuss your legal options with you. It might not be too late to secure a fair recovery for the injuries you’ve suffered. Please contact us today via this website or by phone to learn more.