The circumstances that can lead to a child’s brain injury accident in Louisville are almost as varied as the personality of Louisville’s children. A child could suffer a brain injury, for example, during a birth injury at University Hospital or a surgery gone wrong at Norton Suburban Hospital. A child could suffer a brain injury in an accident on the Gene Snyder Freeway, from a collision on a sports field, or even from child abuse.
All of These Injured Children Need Help
There may be specific things that you should do based on how the child suffered an injury. For example, the police may need to be involved in some, but not all, cases. However, there are things that many parents of children who have suffered Louisville brain injury accidents, can do. Specifically, you can:
- Get your child immediate medical help – This may help prevent further injury.
- Make sure your child has ongoing medical attention and rehabilitation therapies as needed – This could include physical therapy, occupational therapy, speech and language therapy, and other services depending on your child’s specific injuries and needs.
- Talk to the school district – You may need to advocate for your child’s educational needs. For example, your child may require accommodations pursuant to a Section 504 plan or specialized instruction pursuant to an IEP, depending on his or her injuries.
- Make sure that your child is not isolated – Encourage visits with friends and family, as appropriate.
- Continue to challenge your child in appropriate ways – Many times these challenges can help your child progress with his or her healing.
Additionally, you should talk to your child’s doctors about what can be reasonably expected of your child so that you can both work toward realistic goals.
Don’t Let Money Be a Factor in Your Child’s Recovery
If someone else’s intentional or negligent actions—or inactions—resulted in your child’s Louisville brain injury accident then you may be able to recover damages for your child’s injuries. Please browse the FREE library articles available on our website for more information about brain injury recoveries and please let us answer any of your specific questions.
- What Every Parent Needs to Know About Lexington Brain Injuries
- Who Pays for a Child’s Medical Treatment, Education, and Other Needs If He Suffered a Brain Injury in a Spaghetti Junction Car Crash?