As a resident of an assisted living or nursing home facility, you or your loved one deserves a safe, nurturing environment free from abuse and neglect. Unfortunately, elder abuse and neglect are all too common in nursing homes and assisted care facilities across the United States, including in Kentucky. If you or your loved one has suffered from abuse or neglect in a nursing home in Owensboro, Kentucky, it is crucial to seek help from an experienced Owensboro nursing home abuse lawyer who can help you obtain justice and compensation.
Call Gray & White Law today at 502-210-8942 | toll-free at 888-450-4456 to schedule a free consultation and learn more about how we can help.
Types of Abuse and Neglect in Kentucky Nursing Home and Assisted Care Facilities
There are several types of abuse and neglect that can occur in nursing homes and assisted care facilities in Kentucky, including:
- Physical Abuse: Physical abuse occurs when a staff member inflicts physical harm on a resident, such as hitting, kicking, or pushing.
- Psychological Abuse: Psychological abuse involves the use of threats, intimidation, or manipulation to control or harm a resident.
- Neglect/Negligence: Neglect or negligence refers to the failure of staff members to provide the necessary care and support for residents, such as failing to administer medications, provide adequate food and water, or maintain hygiene.
- Financial Abuse: Financial abuse is the unauthorized use or theft of a resident’s money or assets by a staff member or caregiver.
- Sexual Abuse: Sexual abuse occurs when a staff member engages in any sexual activity with a resident without their consent.
Common Causes of Abuse and Neglect in Kentucky Senior Living Centers
Several factors can contribute to abuse and neglect in a senior living center, including:
- Falls and Poor Facility Maintenance: Poor facility maintenance can lead to hazardous conditions, such as wet floors, torn carpeting, and faulty handrails, which can cause residents to fall and suffer injuries.
- Medication Errors: Medication errors can occur when staff members fail to administer medications as prescribed, give incorrect doses, or administer the wrong medication.
- Understaffing: Understaffing is a significant problem in many nursing homes and assisted care facilities, which can lead to neglect, abuse, and inadequate care.
- Improper Hygiene: Inadequate hygiene practices, such as failing to bathe or change residents’ clothing or bedding, can result in infections, bedsores, and other health issues.
Common Injuries Suffered As a Result of Nursing Home Abuse
Abuse and neglect in nursing homes and assisted care facilities can lead to severe injuries, including:
- Bedsores: Bedsores, also known as pressure ulcers, are a common injury among elderly residents who are bedridden or unable to move around on their own.
- Broken Bones and Bruises: Physical abuse can cause broken bones, bruises, and other injuries that can result in long-term disability or even death.
- Malnutrition and Dehydration: Neglect or failure to provide adequate food and water can lead to malnutrition and dehydration, which can have severe health consequences.
- Death: In some cases, abuse and neglect can lead to the untimely death of a nursing home resident.
Signs a Nursing Home Resident Has Been Abused or Neglected
If you suspect that your loved one has suffered abuse or neglect in a nursing home or assisted care facility, it is essential to look out for the following signs:
- Unexplained bruises, cuts, or other injuries
- Changes in behavior, such as becoming withdrawn or agitated
- Poor hygiene or unsanitary living conditions
- Sudden weight loss or malnutrition
- Dehydration; and
- Unexplained changes in medication or treatment
Our Owensboro Nursing Abuse Lawyers Serve All of Kentucky, Contact Us
If you or your loved one has suffered from abuse or neglect in a nursing home or assisted care facility in Owensboro, Kentucky, our experienced Owensboro personal injury attorneys can help. We have the knowledge and experience to hold negligent caregivers and nursing homes accountable for their actions and obtain the compensation and justice you deserve. Our attorneys understand the complex laws and regulations surrounding nursing home abuse and neglect, and we can help you navigate the legal process with compassion and professionalism.
At Gray & White Law, we believe that nursing homes and assisted care facilities should be held accountable for their actions, and we are committed to fighting for the rights of elderly residents who have suffered harm. We offer a free consultation to discuss your case and help you understand your legal options.
Don’t wait to take action if you or your loved one has suffered from abuse or neglect in a nursing home or assisted care facility in Owensboro, Kentucky. Contact our Owensboro nursing home abuse lawyers today at 502-210-8942 | toll-free at 888-450-4456 to schedule your free consultation and start pursuing the justice and compensation you deserve.