In 2016, it took an average of 13.23 months from the time a civil lawsuit was filed in Jefferson County Circuit Court to the time the lawsuit was resolved. However, this statistic only accounts for the time once a lawsuit is filed and does not begin from the date of injury. Additionally, it is only the average amount of time for one circuit court in Kentucky. Many cases in Jefferson County and throughout the Commonwealth took shorter or longer amounts of time to resolve.
Five Things That Influence How Long Your Case Will Take
After you’ve been hurt, the following things may influence how long it will take until your case is resolved:
- The extent of your injuries. A prompt evaluation of your injuries is important. Then, doctors must have adequate time to diagnose your injuries and to determine your prognosis before a lawsuit can be resolved. It can be frustrating to wait until a diagnosis is made, but it is important. If you settle before you know the full extent of your injuries, then you may settle for less than your case is worth.
- The details of your accident. It may take longer to gather evidence and to prove negligence in a complicated crash.
- When you contact an attorney. An attorney can help move your case along by gathering evidence, negotiating with the insurance company, and filing your case with the court in a timely manner.
- Insurance company negotiations. Your case may be resolved more quickly if your lawyer is able to effectively negotiate a fair settlement with the insurance company.
- Trial scheduling. If your case goes to trial, then it may take months for the case to be scheduled on the court’s docket.
While it can be frustrating to wait for a personal injury recovery, you don’t want to accept a settlement offer without speaking with an attorney first. Once you accept a settlement offer then it is binding and you will be unable to recover additional compensation for your injuries in the future.
Our experienced personal injury lawyers know how to keep claims moving with insurance companies and courts in Kentucky. We fight hard for the full and fair recoveries that each of our clients deserve. Throughout the process of resolving a claim, we keep each client apprised of the case’s status and we stay on top of the insurance company and the court to keep each case moving as quickly as possible. To learn more about how the timeline for your own claim, please contact us directly via this website or by phone for a free, no-obligation consultation.