Can parental lost income compensation be part of a cerebral palsy recovery?

Request Your Free Consultation

parental lost income compensation in cerebral palsy lawsuitParental lost income compensation might be part of a cerebral palsy lawsuit, but it depends on the reasons for the reduction in income. Many families experience a change in income after the birth of a child. You may decide to take some time off from work, reduce your work hours, or change jobs to spend more time with your child. You can’t recover for this lost income if your income would have been reduced regardless of your child’s medical condition.

However, you may be able to recover for your parental lost income if the following two things are true:

  • Your child’s cerebral palsy was caused by medical malpractice. Cerebral palsy occurs because of brain damage or abnormal brain development. If the brain damage or abnormal brain development occurred because of medical negligence, you might file a lawsuit seeking financial damages.
  • You can’t work because of your child’s cerebral palsy. If you can no longer work or if you can’t work the same number of hours that you used to work because of your child’s cerebral palsy, then you may be able to recover parental lost income compensation in a cerebral palsy lawsuit.

Our experienced Kentucky cerebral palsy lawyers will fight for your family’s fair recovery.

Recovering Parental Lost Income in a Cerebral Palsy Case

Working may become difficult because:

  • Your child has a lot of appointments. Your child may require frequent doctors’ appointments, occupational therapy appointments, physical therapy appointments, and speech and language therapy sessions. Additionally, your child may benefit from surgery. It can be difficult to stay employed or work full-time and get your child to all of these appointments.
  • You can’t find safe or reliable childcare. It is often challenging to find appropriate childcare for children with disabilities. The government does not provide this childcare. Once your child turns three, your child may qualify for free public special education services, but these preschool services are often just a few hours a day.

After you’ve established that medical malpractice caused your child’s cerebral palsy and that you can’t work because of your child’s cerebral palsy, you will need to value your lost income so that you can make a fair recovery.

Your parental lost income may include anything that you cannot earn, including:

  • Wages
  • Raises
  • Benefits, such as insurance
  • Bonuses
  • Income from self-employment

Our experienced Kentucky cerebral palsy lawyers will gather the necessary documentation to value your lost income and other cerebral palsy damages fairly.

Protect Your Child’s Full and Fair Recovery in a Cerebral Palsy Lawsuit

In addition to your parental lost income, a successful cerebral palsy case could help you recover compensation for past and future:

  • Medical expenses for your child’s doctors’ appointments, medications, surgeries, hospitalizations, assistive medical equipment, and rehabilitation therapies
  • Out-of-pocket costs for any modifications you needed to make to your home or vehicle, respite care, and other expenses incurred because of your child’s cerebral palsy
  • Pain and suffering for the physical pain and emotional suffering your child endured because of their cerebral palsy
  • The income that your child will be unable to earn in the future

Nothing will ever reverse the harm your child suffered because of medical negligence. However, these cerebral palsy legal damages can help your child have access to all necessary medical treatments and get the financial security they deserve.

Your child is too young to file a lawsuit in the Commonwealth of Kentucky, but as your child’s parent and legal guardian, you can file a cerebral palsy lawsuit on their behalf.

Contact Our Kentucky Cerebral Palsy Lawyers Today!

Gray and White Law is here to help you protect your child’s rights. Our experienced cerebral palsy lawyers, staff nurse, and other team members will thoroughly review your child’s case and advise you of your family’s rights. If you have a cerebral palsy case and you decide to file a lawsuit on your child’s behalf, we will handle all aspects of litigation so that you can continue to concentrate on your child and your family with the confidence that your child’s legal rights are protected.

We encourage you to contact us any time—24/7/365—to learn more about your child’s rights and your family’s recovery. We would be happy to schedule a free, no-obligation consultation with you. We also invite you to download a free copy of our guide, Family First: How to Get the Help You Need After a Birth Injury to Your Child Happens in Kentucky, to learn more about what to do next.

Related Links: