It’s a difficult reality to contemplate, but the fact remains that nursing home abuse and nursing home neglect are not an uncommon occurrence in Kentucky. As a concerned loved one, there are some steps you can take to try and protect your family member from suffering such trauma. If despite your best efforts, your loved one falls victim to abuse, you may be entitled to file a Kentucky medical malpractice claim relating specifically to nursing home abuse.
With the help of a Louisville medical malpractice attorney who understands the intricacies of nursing home abuse, you can build a case that helps to prove your loved one was the victim of nursing home abuse. Additionally, a Louisville medical malpractice attorney will collect the evidence necessary to help fight for your Kentucky medical malpractice claim.
How You Can Protect Yourself from Nursing Home Abuse
If you are a resident in a nursing home, there are some things you can do to protect yourself from becoming a victim of nursing home abuse including:
- enlist the help of a trustworthy family member or friend who can keep your financial affairs in order;
- tell someone you trust if you have been the victim of any type of abuse or neglect;
- inform family members of the medications you are required to take and how much; and
- don’t isolate yourself (keep in regular contact with family and friends).
How You Can Protect Your Loved One from Nursing Home Abuse
If your loved one is in a nursing home, there are certain things you can do to protect him or her.
Some of the things you should take the initiative on include :
- look for signs of abuse and if you suspect it, immediately report it;
- know the medications your loved one is taking to ensure the wrong medication isn’t being given;
- keep in regular contact with your loved one;
- offer to give the caregiver a break whenever you can; and
- take note of any unusual bank withdrawals or other financial transactions.
Some of the most common types of nursing home abuse occur with medication errors. When a facility has a number of patients on different medications requiring different dosages at different times of the day, it is not uncommon for a patient to be given the wrong medication.
Other types of nursing home abuse include bedsores, malnutrition, physical abuse and improper use of restraints.
Consulting with a Louisville medical malpractice attorney who handles nursing home abuse cases should be your next step if your loved one has suffered any kind of nursing home abuse such as medication errors or physical assault. You may have the right to file a Kentucky medical malpractice claim.
Has Your Loved One Been Injured In A Nursing Home?
If you believe your loved one is being subjected to nursing home abuse you need to speak with an experienced Kentucky nursing home neglect attorney as soon as possible. Contact us online or call our office directly at 888.450.4456 to schedule a free consultation.