Each year, it is estimated that approximately 1.7 million people across our nation will suffer from a brain injury. These injuries are just as likely to occur here in Kentucky as they are in any of the other states within our country. Learning to adjust to life after a brain injury in Louisiana is no easy task. You are likely facing substantial emotional, physical, and financial hurdles. Fortunately, there are ways to make the process easier, if you know where to turn for help.
The following are 6 ways to help cope with traumatic brain injury:
- Contact an experienced Louisville brain injury lawyer right away for support. The right attorney will be in your corner helping to ensure that you receive the compensation that you deserve. This may ease a great deal of the stress related to the financial toll that this type of injury often takes.
- Seek out a support group where you feel comfortable expressing yourself. There are many groups out there geared specifically for victims of brain injuries. Discussing your issues among a group of fellow victims and qualified medical professionals can help you feel less alone.
- Allow yourself plenty of opportunities for peaceful rest. Giving yourself enough breaks is vital as you head down the road to recovery.
- Speak up to your caregivers, educators, and medical professionals so that they know how best to revise expectations and make necessary learning accommodations. If you are a student, your school may provide you with a quiet room free of distractions, in addition to allowing you increased time to finish assignments.
- Be open with your employer about adjusting your job responsibilities to accommodate your temporary or permanent disabilities.
- Most importantly, be patient and forgiving of yourself. Adjusting to life following a Kentucky brain injury takes time. You may not be able to live your life exactly as you did before the injury.
To learn more about recovery, contact an experienced Louisville brain injury attorney today. Call our office at (502) 210-8942 or (800) 634-8767 for a free consultation.