You wouldn’t expect a room in a Louisville nursing home to cost the same as, say, a one-bedroom apartment. I thought it would be interesting to make some cost comparisons to put the price into perspective.
Kentucky Nursing Home Costs
To begin with, let’s take a look at what a room in a Kentucky nursing home cost in 2012:
- The average cost of a semi-private room was $5,750.
- The average cost of a private room was $6,296.
My 17-year-old son is itching to get out on his own. Let’s see how much of an abode he could get in Louisville for $5,750, the cost of one month in a semi-private home in a Louisville nursing home:
- 7½ months in a one bedroom apartment
- Nearly 16 months—a year and a third—of his share of a two-bedroom apartment
- More than two years of his share of a two-bedroom house
Alternatives to Nursing Home Care
Now, if you are able to consider other forms of elder care, here is what you’re looking at per month:
- Homemaker or home health aide services cost $3,241.
- Adult day health care costs $1,274.
- A private, one-bedroom apartment in an assisted living facility costs $2,741.
Given the cost of nursing home care, you’d think that nursing home abuse and neglect would be unheard of; unfortunately, you may find that this is not the case. If someone you love is a victim, call the Kentucky nursing home abuse attorneys at Gray and White Law at 502-210-8942 or toll free at 888-450-4456 to set up a FREE, no-obligation consultation.