Posted on February 12, 2015

There is a criminal case pending against the nursing home staff member who abused your loved one. The case may or may not be getting a lot of press, but you are following it closely. You want the Commonwealth of Kentucky to hold this criminal accountable for the harm that he caused your loved one and the grief that he has caused your family.

But it Might Not Be Enough

While you welcome the criminal case, you may still want to pursue your own nursing home abuse case in civil court. You may still want…

  • To have your voice heard. The Commonwealth of Kentucky—not you—is bringing the criminal case. You do not have the right to bring a criminal case, but you may have legal standing to bring a civil case. You can make sure that your voice is heard and that you are doing everything possible to hold the nursing home accountable for what has happened.
  • To recover compensation for the harm that has been done. A criminal case will not allow you to recover for the medical bills that your loved one incurred, for funeral expenses, for pain and suffering, or for other damages. However, you may recover these damages in a successful wrongful death case in civil court.

You don’t have to pick between civil and criminal cases if your loved one has been killed by an abusive nursing home staff member. Instead, you need to learn more about your rights by browsing our free articles and you need to make the decision that is right for your loved one, your family, and yourself.

Has Your Loved One Been Injured in a Nursing Home?

If you believe your loved one is being subjected to nursing home abuse you need to speak with an experienced Kentucky nursing home neglect attorney as soon as possible. Contact us online or call our office directly at 888.450.4456 to schedule a free consultation.

Matthew L. White
Connect with me
Founder & Partner of Louisville Personal Injury Law Firm Gray & White Law
Post A Comment