How long after my child is diagnosed do I have to file a cerebral palsy lawsuit ?

Request Your Free Consultation

statute of limitations computer key on keyboardYou ask an important question, especially in Kentucky. While all states have statutes of limitations that give people a certain amount of time to file a lawsuit, Kentucky’s statute of limitations for cerebral palsy, birth injuries, and other personal injuries is among the shortest in the nation.

You Have One Year

In most cases, you have just one year to file a cerebral palsy lawsuit. Your time starts when you know or should know that your child has suffered as birth injury. In cerebral palsy cases, your time does not necessarily begin on the day of your child’s birth. Often a cerebral palsy diagnosis comes months or a couple of years after birth when your child begins missing developmental milestones and exhibiting cerebral palsy symptoms.

When you first suspect cerebral palsy, however, it is essential to contact an experienced birth injury lawyer as soon as possible.

Don’t Miss the Deadline

If you wait too long and try to file a cerebral palsy case after the statute of limitations has expired, the case will most likely be dismissed. The defendant(s) will file a motion to dismiss with the court that explains that you have missed the statute of limitations. If the court finds that you did miss the statute of limitations deadline, the court will dismiss the lawsuit without any financial recovery for your child.

You can prevent this from happening. You can protect your child’s financial recovery by contacting an experienced cerebral palsy lawyer as soon as possible. Don’t wait until the year is almost up. Instead, contact our Kentucky cerebral palsy lawyers right away so that we can make sure that all relevant evidence is secured and that none of your child’s legal rights are jeopardized. We can be reached any time for a free, no-obligation consultation. Just call us, start a live chat, or fill out our online contact form and we will reach out to you.

Related Links: