What should I do if I think my child has cerebral palsy?

Request Your Free Consultation

man making cell phone callAs your infant grows, you may become concerned about potential symptoms of cerebral palsy. Maybe your child isn’t meeting developmental milestones, or you are worried about the way your baby is moving. You may feel overwhelmed and frightened, but you are not in this alone. There are two calls you can make right now to get the help your child deserves.

Call Your Child’s Pediatrician

Whenever you are concerned about your child’s development or health, you should contact a pediatrician you trust. There is no one diagnostic test for cerebral palsy. However, your pediatrician will examine your child, assess whether your child has developmental delays, order brain imaging tests, and rule out other causes for developmental delays or low muscle tone.

After a cerebral palsy diagnosis, your child’s doctor will help coordinate a treatment plan. While the different types of cerebral palsy treatment may seem overwhelming, your doctor can suggest treatment providers for physical therapy, occupational therapy, speech and language therapy, aqua therapy, and other therapies. Additionally, your doctor will discuss medication and surgery options with you.

Call a Cerebral Palsy Lawyer

Once you know that your child has cerebral palsy, you will need to understand why your child has cerebral palsy. Sometimes, cerebral palsy is caused by head trauma or oxygen deprivation during labor or delivery. In these cases, the hospital, doctor, nurse, or midwife could have caused your child’s cerebral palsy.

When a medical provider’s negligence causes cerebral palsy, the child with cerebral palsy has a legal right to financial compensation in Kentucky. To get this recovery, you will likely need to bring a legal case forcing the party responsible for your child’s cerebral palsy to pay for his past and future medical costs, lost income, out-of-pocket costs, physical pain, emotional suffering, and other losses.

Our experienced legal team can help you help your child. Call us today for a free, no-obligation consultation about your child’s rights and possible recovery.

Related Links: