How to File a Personal Injury Claim against a Kentucky Government Entity (Part B)

Request Your Free Consultation

By compiling evidence as soon as possible, you will be able to fill out your claim and provide proof of your injuries.

Next, you must determine which branch of the government—such as the county, state, or even federal government–is responsible for your accident. Once you have identified the appropriate entity, you have only 60 days after your accident to file a Standard Form 95, which notifies the agency of your claim.

While you do have 60 days to notify a government entity that you intend to file a Kentucky personal injury claim, you should never wait until the last minute. If your form is filled out incorrectly or if you forget to submit some paperwork, you may not have enough time to correct the mistakes before the deadline expires.

A personal injury attorney in Louisville can work with you to ensure that every last detail has been considered. In many cases, government entities are afforded immunity against law suits; however, the Tort Claims Act waives the government’s immunity in a personal injury claim. This Act allows you the chance to hold the government responsible for your personal injury, provided you follow their specific set of guidelines.

Once the government entity receives your personal injury claim, they will have the opportunity to accept or deny it. If they accept it, you will likely receive compensation for you injuries. If the entity denies your claim, which is common, your personal injury lawyer can help you file a lawsuit to seek damages.

Contact a Kentucky Personal Injury Attorney

Going up against the government can be difficult. When you are recovering from a serious injury, the last thing you may want to do is deal with filing a claim. At Gray & White, we are dedicated to helping personal injury victims–like you–recover compensation for your financial and emotional losses. To learn how we can help your claim, and to receive a free consultation, please call our law office today at 502-210-8942 or 888-450-4456.