Debilitating Side Effects of Chemotherapy
The purpose of chemotherapy is to kill cancerous cells. Due to how powerful this medication is, an overdose could become poison to the patient’s body. With an already weakened immune system, it could prove to be devastating.
Although the side effects of chemotherapy can be uncomfortable, painful or even downright unbearable, they are made much worse when there is a medication mistake. Contact a Louisville medication error attorney if you believe that you or a loved one was the victim of medical negligence.
Some of the side effects of chemotherapy that cancer patients experience include:
- urination difficulties (unable to go, discolored, frequent urination);
- anemia (which can increase fatigue);
- fluid retention/swelling (abdomen, limbs);
- changes in appetite (decreased, foods taste different);
- changes in skin (skin is red, dry, itchy, painful);
- bleeding easily;
- sexual dysfunction/infertility;
- chronic pain;
- nerve problems (weakness, numbness, burning or tingling);
- extreme fatigue;
- hair loss;
- changes in taste or smell (pain eating hot/cold foods, dry mouth); and
- increased risk of infection.
Some of these side effects can be managed, but it becomes much more difficult when a medication error worsens the effects. This may lead you to pursue legal counsel from an experienced Kentucky law firm. A lawyer can determine if someone may be held liable for your severe illness or injuries.