Paul Hershberg has practiced complex commercial litigation and appellate law since 1997.
Paul grew up in Louisville and obtained his undergraduate degree from the University of Michigan in 1991, then his J.D. from Boston College Law School in 1996. He practiced with a large law firm for over a decade, litigating cases from both the plaintiff and defense sides, as well as insurance coverage disputes and appellate practice.
He has tried numerous cases to favorable conclusions on matters ranging from corporate dissolutions and breaches of fiduciary duty to denied insurance claims to disputes involving non-profit organizations and participation in public pension systems. Paul has briefed and argued many cases in the Kentucky Court of Appeals, Kentucky Supreme Court, and United States Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit. When he is not at his desk, Paul acquires jazz records and tends to a brood of house cats.
- Paul was named as a Top Rated Lawyer in Kentucky’s Legal Leaders in the area of Appellate Law, Commercial Litigation and Labor and Employment, 2013-2014. This honor is based on peer review.
- Paul has achieved Martindale-Hubbell’s highest peer review rating, AV-Preeminent.
- Paul has been recognized as a Kentucky Super Lawyer every year from 2010 through 2016, in the areas of business litigation and appellate practice. This honor is based upon peer reviews.
- Paul was named a Top Lawyer in Louisville Magazine in 2012, 2013, and 2016 in the area of Apellate Law. This honor is based on a peer survey among Louisville practitioners.
- Kentucky Bar Association
- Louisville Bar Association
Admissions and Courts
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Indiana
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of Kentucky
- U.S. District Court Western District of Kentucky
- U.S. Court of Appeals 6th Circuit
- U.S. Supreme Court
- Boston College Law School, Boston, Massachusetts, 1996, J.D.
- University of Michigan, 1991, B.A.
- Appellate Practice
- Employment Litigation
- Commercial Litigation
- Insurance Coverage Litigation
- Dugle ex rel. Dugle v. Norfolk Southern R. Co., 683 F.3d 263 (Ky. App. 2012)
- Sae Biang Optical v. Kenmark Optical, Inc., 2012 WL 2354360 (6th Cir.)
- PNC Bank, Nat. Ass'n v. Fifth Third Bank, 2011 WL 336467 (Ky. App. 2011)
- McDonald's Corp. v. Ogborn, 309 S.W.3d 274 (Ky. App. 2009)
- Sae Biang Optical v. Kenmark Optical, Inc., 2009 WL 3211083 (W.D. Ky. 2009)
- Devasier v. James, 278 S.W.3d 625 (Ky. 2009)
- Rastogi v. Amex Assur. Co., 2008 WL 5101676 (W.D. Ky. 2008)
- Flooring Gallery, LLC v. Morel Const. Co., Inc., 2008 WL 4092864 (Ky. App. 2008)
- Golden Foods, Inc. v. Louisville & Jefferson County Metropolitan Sewer Dist., 240 S.W.3d 679 (Ky. App. 2007)
- 500 Associates, Inc. v. Natural Resources and Environmental Protection Cabinet, 204 S.W.3d 121 (Ky. App. 2006)
- In re Lowenbraun, 453 F.3d 314 (6th Cir. 2006)
- Jewell v. Household Life Ins. Co., 2006 WL 1228831 (W.D. Ky. 2006)
- Foster v. Kentucky Farm Bureau Mut. Ins. Co., 189 S.W.3d 553 (Ky. 2006)
- Lovelace v. Holiday Inn Hurstbourne, 2006 WL 307913 (Ky. App. 2006)
- Stratton v. Commonwealth of Kentucky, Cabinet for Families and Children, 182 S.W.3d 516 (Ky. 2006)
- Brown v. Indiana Ins. Co., 184 S.W.3d 528 (Ky. 2005)
- Louisville Metro Housing Authority v. Burns, 198 S.W.3d 147 (Ky. App. 2005)
- Lumpkins ex rel. Lumpkins v. City of Louisville, 157 S.W.3d 601 (Ky. 2005)
- In re Commonwealth Institutional Securities, Inc., 394 F.3d 401 (6th Cir. 2005)
- L.B. III v. Housing Authority of Louisville, 345 F.Supp.2d 725 (W.D. Ky. 2004)
- L.B. III v. Housing Authority of Louisville, 344 F.Supp.2d 1009 (W.D. Ky. 2004)