In today’s world, we are often taught to trust that our health care providers are knowledgeable and have our best interests at heart. While this may be true, even honest and caring physicians do sometimes make mistakes. Patients may suffer injuries as a result. One common example consists of injuries that result from medication errors. As lay people, we typically cannot distinguish between pills or liquid medications other than by the label on the bottle. We simply have to trust that medication we are being administered or prescribed is a medication designed to treat our health problem. When a medication error occurs, the results can be devastating. An experienced Louisville medication error lawyer can help you receive the compensation that you deserve.
Unfortunately for patients across America, the number of medication errors causing injury to patients is likely to rise in coming years. According to the Centers for Disease Control, we can expect a higher number of injuries resulting from Kentucky medication errors for the following reasons:
- New medications are constantly being developed, increasing the chance of a health care professional mixing up the correct medication.
- Doctors are also discovering new uses for older medications, creating additional opportunity for mistakes.
- The American population is aging rapidly. The older generation takes more medication than younger generations.
- Medications are increasingly the go-to treatment for disease prevention.
- Insurance companies are covering more and more prescription medications, making doctors more likely to prescribe them and patients more likely to take them.
To learn more about protecting your legal rights following an injury, contact the Louisville medication error attorneys at Gray & White for guidance. Call our office today at (502) 210-8942 or (800) 634-8767 for a free consultation.