In June 2019, U.S. Senators Bob Casey and Pat Toomey released a comprehensive report titled, Families’ and Residents’ Right to Know: Uncovering Poor Care in America’s Nursing Homes. The report identified 400 nursing homes around the nation that have poor safety records.
Six Kentucky Nursing Homes Are on the List
The Kentucky nursing homes on the senators’ list of homes with poor safety records include:
- Klondike Center in Louisville
- Mountain Manor of Paintsville
- River Haven Nursing and Rehabilitation Center in Paducah
- Springhurst Health and Rehab in Louisville
- Twin Rivers Nursing and Rehabilitation Center in Owensboro
- Woodcrest Nursing and Rehabilitation Center in Elsmere
Currently, Twin Rivers Nursing and Rehabilitation Center in Owensboro is the only Kentucky nursing home included on the list of Special Focus Facilities. Special Focus Facilities are nursing homes with persistently poor care.
The other five Kentucky nursing homes on the list are considered candidates for the Special Focus Facilities list and may have been identified if the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid had the resources to thoroughly investigate and identify all nursing homes with persistently poor care.
Examples of Poor Care in Kentucky Nursing Homes
Some of the specific problems in Kentucky nursing homes include:
- Residents not receiving medication at the right time
- Not notifying physicians when the failure to provide medication causes or is likely to cause serious injury or death
- Unlocked and unattended medication carts in the hallway
- Sexual assault of a resident by a staff member
- Improper and potentially unsafe food storage
- Failure to change wound dressings
If safety improvements are not made, nursing homes can lose Medicare and Medicaid funding.
No One Should Suffer Nursing Home Abuse or Negligence
Your loved one deserves to live in a safe nursing home. If your loved one has suffered an abuse or neglect injury in any of the nursing homes on this list or in any other Kentucky nursing home, we encourage you to contact our experienced nursing home lawyers today for a free and confidential consultation. We will fight hard to hold the nursing home accountable and to get your loved one the fair compensation she deserves.