Why did a Kentucky Nursing Home Overdose a Resident?
A Louisville Kentucky nursing home was recently investigated for administering over four times the prescribed dose of narcotics to a resident. The resident suffered respiratory failure and was taken to the emergency room. The medication administration record showed four separate nursing prescribing the recommended dose of medication. How this dangerous medication error occurred is still being investigated. More than likely, the prescription mistake had to do with poor staff training by the nursing home. Kentucky still has not staffing requirements for nursing homes. This paves the way for more nursing home abuse.