How is a Kentucky personal injury lawsuit different from a criminal case or arbitration?

Request Your Free Consultation

A Kentucky personal injury lawsuit is a civil issue, which is notably different from a criminal case. If you were prosecuted for a crime, you would require a criminal defender who has an entirely different skill set from the Jefferson County accident attorney you would rely on if you had been injured by someone else’s negligence on the road.

In criminal proceedings, the state takes action against someone who is suspected and accused of breaking the law and transgressing against “the people.” In these cases, penalties such as fines and jail sentences are distributed when defendants are found guilty.

In civil matters, such as a Kentucky personal injury lawsuit, a conflict arises among two or more individuals, agencies, businesses or other organizations. These proceedings aim to determine if the harm done to the party filing suit was caused by the defendant, and if so, what “damages” could rectify that harm.

If you have been injured in an auto accident, you will likely call the police to inform them of the accident, but unless the other driver was under the influence, it’s unlikely that he or she will be arrested under the rule of law, no matter how guilty the motorist was, unless the collision was caused intentionally.

However, you and your Jefferson County accident attorney may choose to file a personal injury lawsuit alleging that the other driver’s negligence or failure to adhere to the rules of road caused you harm and expense.

Arbitration is a kind of alternative dispute resolution that attempts to solve civil disagreements outside the courtroom. If both parties consent to arbitration, it keeps the matter out of the public eye and spares some of the expenses of a trial.

Contacting a Jefferson County Accident Attorney

A Jefferson county accident attorney at Gray and White Law can help you handle every aspect of your auto injury claim. If you’ve been injured in Kentucky, contact us today for a free evaluation of your case1-888-450-4456 or 1-502-210- 8942.