Before your accident, you likely gave very little thought to your spleen. This internal organ operated as it should from its spot behind your left rib cage. It helped to keep your blood clean and protect you from certain types of infections.
That all changed, however, when you suffered trauma to your left side during a car wreck and your spleen ruptured.
A Ruptured Spleen Is a Medical Emergency
Since a ruptured spleen can be life threatening, it is important to recognize the symptoms, which include:
- Pain or tenderness in the upper left part of your abdomen
- Pain in your left shoulder
- Blurred vision
If you experience these symptoms immediately after a car crash or in the days or weeks following the accident, your doctor may suspect a ruptured spleen. In order to diagnose a ruptured spleen, your doctor will perform or order:
- A physical exam in order to determine if your spleen seems to be the right size and if you experience tenderness upon touch
- Blood tests to determine your platelet levels and to see how well your blood clots
- An ultrasound to see if there is internal bleeding in your abdominal cavity.
- A CT scan or other imaging test to confirm the diagnosis.
Without treatment, a ruptured spleen can result in potentially fatal internal bleeding. Therefore, medical treatment should begin as soon as possible after a ruptured spleen is diagnosed.
Treatment of a Ruptured Spleen
While prompt medical treatment is always important after a ruptured spleen, the treatment is not always the same for everyone who suffers this injury. Depending on your unique circumstances, your doctor may consider:
- Hospitalization. Some small ruptures may heal on their own, but you will need to be monitored closely during this time.
- Surgery. Surgery may be required to close the ruptured spleen, to remove part of the spleen that is injured, or to remove the entire spleen if it is beyond repair.
It is important to follow a treatment plan that you trust so that you can begin your recovery. How quickly your recovery progresses depends on the severity of your injury, your age, your overall health, and the treatment you receive.
Protect Your Future After a Ruptured Spleen Injury
A prompt diagnosis and good medical treatment are critical to your physical recovery, and the help of an experienced lawyer may be essential for your fair financial recovery. If someone else’s negligence caused the crash that resulted in your ruptured spleen, that person, or his insurer, may be responsible for paying the costs related to the accident. An experienced car accident attorney will:
- Investigate what happened to you
- Gather and analyze all of the relevant evidence
- Present compelling arguments to the insurance company to negotiate a fair settlement
- Make sure all relevant pleadings are filed in court in a timely way to protect your legal rights
- Present your case to the court, if necessary, to protect your fair recovery
As you recover from your physical injuries, your car accident lawyer will be taking the steps outlined above to protect your financial recovery. Your financial recovery may include damages for things such as past, current, and future:
- Medical costs
- Lost income
- Out-of-pocket costs
- Physical pain and emotional suffering
These auto accident damages—and any other losses related to your car crash – can add up quickly.
Our lawyers understand that you have a lot of important decisions to make after a Kentucky car crash injury. We want you to have all of the information you need to make the choices that will influence your recovery. Accordingly, we encourage you to contact our law firm today for a free, no-obligation consultation. Our staff nurse and experienced car crash lawyers will review your claim and discuss your legal options with you. For more information, or to schedule your free appointment, please call us or reach out to us via this website at any time.