If your loved one has suffered at the hands of a nursing home facility and/or caregiver, then you may be entitled to compensation through a Kentucky nursing home abuse claim. A Louisville nursing home abuse lawyer will take the time to sit down with you and discuss the details of your case.
Compensation could be available that addresses your loved one’s medical expenses, along with other damages. To learn how to protect their rights, you will need experienced legal help on your side.
Understanding the Elder Justice Act
In an effort to better prevent and protect against elder abuse, the Elder Justice Act was signed into law in March of 2010. It is the first of its kind to address the issue of elder abuse on a federal level. It has authorized funding of $757 million to be covered over the course of 4 years.
The funding of this act serves to do several things, including:
- establishment of a nationwide program that provides background checks on any employee (whether a caregiver or a janitor) who works in a nursing home facility;
- establishment of an advisory board, which is to provide strategic plans focused on elder justice;
- establishment of a national nurse aide registry;
- funding for adult protective services;
- applying penalties to nursing home facilities that retaliate against an employee who reports violations or files a complaint;
- enhancing nursing home recruitment, staffing, incentives and training; and
- requiring immediate reporting to law enforcement when crimes in a nursing home are committed.
Has Your Loved One Been Injured In A Nursing Home?
If you believe your loved one is being subjected to nursing home abuse you need to speak with an experienced Kentucky nursing home neglect attorney as soon as possible. Contact us online or call our office directly at 888.450.4456 to schedule a free consultation.