As nursing home abuse lawyers in Kentucky, it is our responsibility to shed light on the various types of abuse and neglect that occur in nursing homes and assisted care facilities across the state. Furthermore, we are committed to helping victims of nursing home abuse in Kentucky hold those responsible accountable for the harm they have suffered.
At our Kentucky personal injury law firm, we believe that seniors in nursing homes deserve to be treated with respect and dignity, and we are dedicated to fighting for their rights. If you or someone you care about has experienced abuse or neglect in a Richmond nursing home or assisted care facility, contact Gray & White Law today at 502-210-8942 | toll-free at 888-450-4456 to schedule a free consultation and learn more about how we can help.
Types of Abuse and Neglect in Kentucky Senior Living Centers
Kentucky nursing homes and assisted care facilities should provide a safe and comfortable living space for their residents. Unfortunately, some facilities fail to meet that standard, and abuse and neglect are all too common. Here are the types of abuse and neglect that we see most frequently:
- Physical Abuse: This occurs when a resident is subjected to physical harm, such as hitting, slapping, or pushing.
- Psychological Abuse: This involves verbal and non-verbal behaviors that cause emotional distress, such as bullying, intimidation, or isolation.
- Neglect/Negligence: This refers to a failure to provide basic needs, such as food, water, and medical attention, which can lead to severe health complications.
- Financial Abuse: This is the unauthorized use of a resident’s money or property, such as theft or fraud.
- Sexual Abuse: Any form of unwanted sexual contact, including rape, molestation, and sexual harassment.
Common Causes of Abuse and Neglect in Kentucky Senior Living Centers
While nursing home abuse and neglect can occur for various reasons, some causes are more common than others. These include:
- Falls and Poor Facility Maintenance: Nursing homes and assisted care facilities are responsible for maintaining a safe and hazard-free environment. Failure to do so can result in serious injuries, such as broken bones and head trauma.
- Medication Errors: Over-medication or under-medication can have severe consequences for residents, including death.
- Understaffing: When there aren’t enough staff members to care for residents properly, the risk of neglect and abuse increases.
- Improper Hygiene: Poor hygiene can lead to infections, bedsores, and other health problems.
Common Injuries Suffered As a Result of Nursing Home Abuse
The injuries that result from nursing home abuse and neglect can be severe and long-lasting. Some common injuries include:
- Bedsores: Bedsores can develop when a resident is left in the same position for too long. These can be extremely painful and difficult to treat.
- Broken Bones and Bruises: Physical abuse often results in broken bones and bruises.
- Malnutrition and Dehydration: Neglect can lead to malnutrition and dehydration, which can have severe health consequences.
- Death: Death can occur in the most severe cases of abuse and neglect.
Signs an Assisted Living Resident Has Been Abused or Neglected
Recognizing the signs of abuse and neglect is essential for protecting your loved ones. Some common signs include:
- Unexplained injuries, such as bruises or cuts
- Sudden changes in behavior, such as aggression or withdrawal
- Poor hygiene or unkempt appearance
- Bedsores or other signs of neglect
- Missing personal items or money; and
- Fear or discomfort around certain staff members
Our Richmond Nursing Home Abuse Lawyers Serve All of Kentucky. Contact Us Today!
As we age, we rely on the care of nursing home staff to ensure our well-being and safety. Unfortunately, some seniors experience intentional or negligent harm at the hands of those who are supposed to care for them. If you suspect your loved one has been a victim of abuse or neglect in a nursing home or assisted care facility in Richmond, Kentucky, our experienced Richmond nursing home abuse lawyers are here to help.
Our law firm has a proven track record of holding negligent nursing homes and assisted living facilities accountable and fighting for the compensation that our clients deserve. Contact Gray & White Law today at 502-210-8942 | toll-free at 888-450-4456 for a free consultation.