Nobody wants to be safety patrol. You don’t want to be the one nagging others to do the safe thing rather than the fun thing. You don’t want to ruin the party. However, there are things that you can do to promote safety without sacrificing fun while you are out on Lake Barkley, Barren River Lake, or any other body of water in Kentucky.
Three Things Everyone on the Boat Can Do
Even if you know nothing about boating, you can help prevent a fatal accident by:
- Wearing a life jacket and encouraging others to do so too.
- Asking the boat operator about what kind of safety training he has received and only getting on board the boat if you are comfortable with his answer.
- Insisting that the boat owner or operator conduct a vessel check before you leave shore so that anything that is wrong with the boat can be fixed.
While you can help, it is important to understand that the responsibility for preventing serious or fatal boat accidents often rests with the boat owner or operator.
Know Your Rights If Your Loved One Dies
Whether or not your loved one acted as safety patrol, you may have the right to recover damages in a wrongful death case if your loved one’s death was due to the negligent or intentional actions of someone else. Please read our free boat accident articles and follow us on Facebook to stay up to date on important news for boat accident survivors.
- 10 Things You Need to Know About Fatal Boat Accidents
- What You May Recover If Your Spouse Was Killed in a Kentucky Boat Accident
- When Is the Right Time to Call a Lawyer If I’ve Lost a Relative in a Fatal Boat Accident?