We are more than half way through 2013. Yet, the pain of last year’s fatal accidents on Kentucky highways is still new and raw for many families. As a state and community, it is important to understand what happened on our highways last year so that we can strive to save more lives in the future. It is also important to support the families who are grieving and who will never be the same.
2012 Kentucky Fatal Accident Statistics
According to the Kentucky State Police, the following occurred on state highways in 2012:
- 746 fatalities. That is 26 more deaths than occurred in 2011.
- Of the 746 fatalities, 594 deaths occurred in motor vehicles. 323 of those people were not wearing seat belts at the time of their fatal crashes.
- Of the 746 fatalities, 52 people died as pedestrians.
- Of the 746 fatalities, 7 bicyclists died.
- Of the 746 fatalities, 78 people died in motorcycle crashes.
- Of the 746 fatalities, 14 people died in ATV accidents.
- Of the 746 fatalities, 1 person died in a scooter accident.
- Of the 746 fatalities, 145 involved alcohol.
- Of the 746 fatalities, 63 involved a commercial vehicle.
Our Kentucky wrongful death attorneys extend our condolences to all of the families and friends of last year’s fatal crashes.
Call a Kentucky Wrongful Death Lawyer if Your Loved One Has Been Killed
If your loved one was among those killed last year, then there may still be time to file a wrongful death lawsuit to recover damages for your loved one’s death. Please contact an experienced Louisville wrongful death lawyer today at 800.634.8767 or 502.210.8942 to learn more about your rights and possible recovery.